July 31, 2007

Old love poem

I appear as one,
although I'm two.
And as I reach
before and back
I find you,
where:
Already Four?
(As if so early simple.)

So lie with me
This bed of life,
and nestle my neck's nap
'til we must part,
alone,
as two or one.

You appear as one,
but I see two.
And three and four
as we go forth
to a horizon bright
that on we smiled.

"Please me dance."
"I ne'er learned how."

But tripped about
so sweet and tears.
My life and love
kept me still
and moving too.

A music heard
but ne'er before,
had we but danced.

Come with me.
The music calls.
I'll the one.
You the two.
We the three.
Us the four.

In life's ways--
Sow's the promise.

My partner gone . . .
Are you there?

I sing as one.
I sing as two.
And hope to meet,
where.

To nestle 'gain
as spoons would do
in the bed of bliss
to unknown reach.

Upsides us
If I were one
and you were two
and we the three
and the four.
Just for now!
If not four more.


1992