August 3, 2007

Xmas 99

Of the big three--truth, beauty, and the good--beauty has uplifted me the most. Beauty first, but always along with truth--knowledge--and the good--right action. This the unique soup that has nourished me. When I saw beauty attended by partly hidden truth and the promise of everything right, this has sufficed, even in the face of my most important questions: Is there a G/god? and is there an other side?

I lead myself away from beauty by the daily matters of practical reality. These have taken an inordinately prominent position in my life. Unless we are vigilant, persistent, devoted. Beauty has been too elusive to this preoccupied soul. Artists are so lucky.

Beauty continues for me as physical and spiritual. Would that it were different. On certain days I am a monk, compassionate and active in the experience of souls meeting. On others I am a sensualist immersed in the people, places, and particulars of this phenomenal existence. Experience. Existence. These the travels of my divided ways as I have wandered about the map of human faith and hope and dreams.

I have come to accept my errors of the flesh and my foolish ideals. They are both me--to see and appreciate, for example, a woman inside and out. I am both; I can only surrender to what is, not how a part of me or someone else would have just so.

I am a romantic. As a child and young adult, medieval stories and courtly love bred me. In my renaissance, language and humanist ways ushered in an adulthood I have hardly coped with well, nor was I prepared for. Then I lost all for many years; neither beauty, nor truth, certainly not goodness saved my soul. Then life arrested me, and I am in a rebirth, now ten years in labor.

I harken back to where I have been, the wastelands and the promise. Oh, other important things happened along the way, but they make for too long a tale of seeming rationalizations.

The important thing is today. My love for you would be to share some of the beauty I have--from the romance, the renaissance, the romantic. Here are my current favorites that reflect this life. The real truth, most beautiful, and the best. Haunting lyrics and lines and words, melodies to suffice in the face of mortal matters, our questions, and the life we live to the fullest that we might realize our own truth, beauty, and goodness before the next adventure and quest begin.